Cal Poly Humboldt Sponsored Programs Foundation Job Announcement
This is not a state position
|Job Title:||Program Coordinator, Inclusivity Project|
|Location:||Work from Home, Greater Bay Area, or Sacramento area|
|Hours:||15-28 hours/week, 12 months/year, Non-Exempt status|
|Wage:||$25.00 – $30.00/hour|
|Project Name(s):||Northern California Small Business Development Lead Center (Norcal SBDC)|
|Supervisor:||Associate Director, Norcal SBDC|
Norcal SBDC is a program of Cal Poly Humboldt’s Sponsored Programs Foundation (SPF). The Inclusivity Project (under the Norcal SBDC program) serves the business community in the northern counties of
California with non-credit education and consulting. Funding for this program comes from the federal Small Business Administration (SBA), the California Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GOBiz), and private donor organizations.
The Inclusivity Project is a Norcal SBDC Initiative that challenges the systemic and institutional barriers limiting access to Black entrepreneurial success. Norcal SBDC partners with passionate entrepreneurs to build resilient, profitable, companies and shape the next generation of Black entrepreneurs. The Inclusivity Project serves primarily Black and/or African American businesses and is open to all types and stages. The program offers no-cost business development classes and exclusive events to help members realize their business potential. The Inclusivity project combines education, mentorship, and peer-to-peer connection to help to exist and aspiring Black entrepreneurs build a comprehensive business plan and help them prepare for the long road of business ownership. Norcal SBDC is creating a meaningful change within California’s Black business community by being a strategic conduit to provide leadership, mentorship, and financial resources while creating impactful community engagement and stakeholder thinking.
The Inclusivity Project (IP) Program Coordinator is a newly created part-time position. The schedule is 15 to 28 hours per week, with a Monday-Friday schedule that is mutually agreed upon, and with occasional weekend and evening hours. All Norcal SBDC positions are contingent on continued federal and state funding. This is not a state or federal position.
Under the general supervision of the Norcal SBDC Associate Director of Strategic Initiatives, the IP Coordinator is responsible for managing and organizing the functions of the Inclusivity Program with chosen partners. This position oversees contract business advisors and assists in evaluating services that are created within the Inclusivity Project. This position will coordinate with partners and consultants on how best to approach the Black/African American entrepreneurial ecosystem, manage client database information and have a lasting impact on minority businesses.
The position will engage with approximately nine Norcal SBDC centers, twelve chambers/partners, and stakeholders to increase awareness of the value the IP can provide to inspiring entrepreneurs (pre- pre-ventures), startups, and existing businesses. The IP Program Coordinator will assist with representing the SBDC program at a local and regional level within the economic development and business communities. A successful applicant will thrive in this position by being able to navigate various tasks and systems, calling upon general business know-how and average to above-average technical ability, and having a flair for learning new skills and processes and being adaptable to change.
This position will support the day-to-day activities of the Inclusivity Project, including special programs, training, and client advising. The role will also help assure quality control of all program records, communicate frequently with all involved partners, and aid in implementing online tools and resources for Norcal programs. The IP Program Coordinator will directly be in contact with clients and potential clients seeking SBDC services. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, resourceful, and have impeccable communication skills.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understand and communicate the details of the Norcal SBDC IP program, what the various elements of the process consist of, and how clients access services
- Coordinate program activities, training, seminars, and conferences with community partners and other SBDCs
- Enter contact records and other information in data management systems, documenting activities with businesses served and recording contact sessions
- Support SBDC in conducting periodic surveys of clients and potential clients to ensure quality control
- Review, update and maintain curriculums, slide decks, training materials and program promotional materials
- Enter, modify, and maintain accurate training files and records
- Review training evaluations for feedback and ideas to incorporate in the future
- Help coordinate regional marketing efforts
- Help research and compile data for statistical, financial, and programmatic reports on client activities
- Coordinate with independent contractors serving as SBDC business advisors
- Attend regional SBDC meetings and events held throughout Northern California. When requested, represent the IP interests in regional SBDC planning activities
- Coordinate, enrich, and maintain relationships with key stakeholders
- Partner with the Director of Client Services to help create training cohorts for different business stage readiness
- Work in collaboration with the Client Intake Manager and Intake Specialists to create seamless and consistent messaging for IP clients
- Interact with all levels of management, both internally and externally • Receive, organize, and collate quarterly reports from Chambers and Centers. • Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in customer service.
- Understanding of adult communication styles.
- General business operations knowledge and experience working within or understanding various industries.
- Strong preference for first-person small business or entrepreneurial experience.
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, and Sheets.
- Strong project management, time management, and performance skills.
- Ability to develop strong relationships and work with senior-level managers.
- Very effective in written communications—technical, formal, and informal.
- Strong verbal communication—one-on-one, on the phone, and via videoconferencing.
- Confidentiality is critical for this role.
Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Prior experience providing business advising.
- Prior experience working directly with Black and African American populations.
- Prior experience working with the small business community, economic development programs, chambers of commerce, and/or small business ownership.
- Prior experience working with confidential information.
- At least three years working in a professional field, small business, non-profit, or otherwise.
- A Bachelor’s degree in education, communications, business, or a closely related field; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license.
Qualified applicants should submit the following items via email to Kendra Higgins at email@example.com
- Cover letter
- Three professional reference contacts
- Cal Poly Humboldt SPF Employee Information Form for Applicants
Application Review Date: October 31, 2022 by 5:00pm (position is open until filled)
Cal Poly Humboldt Sponsored Programs Foundation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected status. More information about Cal Poly Humboldt SPF’s Equal Employment Opportunity hiring can be found here.
For assistance with the application process, please submit an Accommodation Request Form, which can be found here or contact ADA Coordinator at 707.826.3626 or confidential fax at 707.826.3625. For more information regarding accommodation, you may also visit the Cal Poly Humboldt Human Resources website at https://hraps.humboldt.edu/reasonable-accommodation. Individuals in need of a telecommunications relay service may contact the California Relay Service at 877.735.2929 TTY.